Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Holy crap

Ok.

So this might sound strange, especially because I'm a soprano, but today I did something I've never done.

I sang a GOOD B natural. It was slim and focused and in tune. Holy crap.

I've been struggling with my high notes for years now and I've been so frustrated and a down on myself because they just weren't happening. SO...today when I was practicing...I took action. I've always noticed that my support system (muscles that help my little vocal chords do their job) was not good. I decided to play around today while I was practicing and I found the solution!

I was singing through "Quando m'en vo'" from Puccini's La Boheme and there are about 3 B naturals. So, after experimenting with support, I sang ALL of the B naturals and they sounded beautiful. At the end of the aria, I burst out into tears because I couldn't believe I had done it. I found the sweet spot.

I've not been properly supporting my sound, and for some reason, today was the day I discovered how. I don't know why. I've understood the concept for years, but it finally clicked and I was popping off B naturals in a bunch of different arias.

ALSO, the rest of my singing dramatically changed. Phrases weren't hard and I actually had VOLUME CONTROL, which is something that a lot of singers struggle with. I sang quietly. This makes me feel like this year is going to be a pretty fantastic one.

I really hope I didn't just jinx myself and this was a just a one time thing. I'll have to check in tomorrow to find out. I feel like I may have a chance at NEC, Juilliard and Manhattan School of Music. We shall see.

I guess everyone figures things out in their own time.

Stephanie

1 comment: