Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 2-Self control and QUINOA

Day 1 was a success! I am well on my way to making some great changes. 

I thought I'd share some more wisdom that I read last night from The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari (TMWSHF for short). 

A challenge I always face is my lack of self-control. This is something I have always blamed on my upbringing, my personality...even my horoscope (I'm a Leo). I would say that Leos always like to live in excess and we don't have any self-control. This, I have come to learn, is an excuse I have created to take the easy way out. "To build willpower and inner strength, you must first use it." So the goal is to stop making excuses and do it already! 

A tool TMWSHF gives us is the use of mantras. The word mantra is a sanskrit word with 'man' meaning 'mind' and 'tra' meaning 'freeing'. The spoken word can have a profound effect on our minds. The mantra to assist you when you are feeling short of will-power is "I am more than I appear to be, all the world's strength and power rests inside me." Pretty awesome, eh? Knowing that I have something like this to assist me in a time of need is incredibly comforting. I plan to repeat it to myself at least 30 times a day. 

On a more delicious note, I thought I'd share a brief recipe with you. It was the first meal I ate today...the one that began this detox. 

For Christmas, my mom got me a cookbook called Quinoa 365: The everyday superfood. Now, if you know me well, you'll know that I LOVE QUINOA (or as one of my dear friends jokingly calls it, Bimboa...you know who you are). It is one of my favourite foods that I try to eat every single day. For those of you who don't know what this amazing food is, I will enlighten you with a passage from my new cookbook!

"Identified as one of the world's healthiest foods, quinoa has a complete combination of all life-supporting nutrients making it an ideal whole food to incorporate into your daily lifestyle. The versatility of quinoa makes it compatible with almost everything you eat throughout the year. Soups, salads, entrees and desserts can all be made with quinoa. It is very easy to prepare, regardless of your cooking ability. Quinoa is also considered kosher, as it is technically not a grain nor related to grains. Especially important for vegetarians or vegans, quinoa is a nutritionally superior source  of non-animal protein. Optimal amino acid content and ease of digestion make quinoa an ideal alternative to meat proteins. Quinoa is also a "good" carbohydrate...unlike simple carbs from processed foods, quinoa digests gradually. It keeps you feeling fuller longer  and can help to regulate blood sugar levels. Quinoa is also an ideal athletic-performance food because the complex carbs provide energy and endurance to hard-working muscles. Quinoa has been identified as ideal for gluten-free diets. In addition, plant lignans, or phytonutrients, are present in whole foods such as quinoa and are thought to be responsible for protection against a variety of illnesses. It is also abundant in linolenic acid, the essential fatty acid that has proven beneficial to immune response." It can be considered a rice substitute and is often classified as a grain. It has a crunchy/chewy texture and a slightly nutty flavour. 

So is quinoa amazing or what? On top of that...it tastes great and takes about 15 minutes to make. Add one part quinoa to 2 parts water. Set it to boil, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for approx. 10 minutes (covered). Turn the burner off and let it sit for about 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and serve. SO easy!

The recipe that I made yesterday, and I make it often because it is one of the easiest breakfasts to make is:

Almond Spice Breakfast Cereal 

1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
2-3 table spoons of almond butter (depending on how almondy you like it)
2-3 heaping tablespoons of hemp hearts (you can get these at any health food store or grocery store with a health food section)
sprinkle of cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
add milk or water if you like it a little runnier
add some almonds on top if you want some extra crunch!

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together and eat! Super easy and fast. Feel free to be liberal with the portions...this is just an estimate of what I usually make.

This meal is protein and energy packed and perfect to start off your day! I go to the gym every morning so this is perfect before a work out. I hope you try it out and enjoy!

Tip: Keep cooked quinoa in the fridge for up to three days. I make it in large portions and keep it in the fridge so its ready for whenever I need it!

To conclude, an inspiring thought to take with you:

"The universe favours the brave. When you resolve once and for all, to lift your life to its highest level, the strength of your soul will guide you."


No comments:

Post a Comment