Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24: The Dawn of a New Era

Since the change from "bunny ears" to digital cable, I smile to myself because I realize that I haven't been watching that much television anymore. Even though I could watch whatever I want online, and I have a very good movie collection, I still would rather read. I find myself buying many more books and reading for hours. I feel that my vocabulary has expanded and my writing has improved. I go on the computer for the same amount of time as I did before, but I view different things. The good old regulars are there (facebook, email, youtube, this blog) but I've recently joined twitter and its opened up a world of possibilities. I am able to keep on top of, and up to date of what is happening in the operatic world. January is my new favourite time, because all the opera companies are announcing their seasons for the upcoming year. Not only are these exciting productions to look forward to, but I'm also retaining valuable information that applies to my job. Its a very exciting thing. It is the dawn of a new era for me.

On Thursday evening, I am embarking on a four day long journey to begin my training in the healing art of Reiki. I will be doing the Level 1 class for certification at the end of those 4 days. For those of you who don't know what Reiki is, I will include a blurb from a great book that I own. Feel free to google it and a read about it. It is an astounding method of healing that most people do not believe could possibly exist. But in fact, it has existed for thousands of years and was brought to the Western world in the early 20th century.

"The word Reiki means universal life energy. It is defined as being that power which acts and lives in all created matter. The word consists of two parts. The syllable "rei" describes the universal, boundless aspect of this energy while "ki" is in itself part of "rei", being the vital life force energy which flows through all living beings....The Usui system of Reiki is not only the most simple and natural healing method we know of, but it is also the most effective way of transferring this universal life energy. Once a person has been opened up to become a "channel" for Reiki, concentrated life energy will flow through his/her hands of its own accord and he/she will retain this ability for the rest of his/her life...Many scientists reached the point in their work where there is only one explanation left, namely that a superior intelligent force does exist: a universal spirit which is continually creating the universe out of itself...The therapist is only a channel for this energy, for it is not his own, limited energy which passes through him when he lays his hands on a person, but rather a universal one, which leaves him strengthened and harmonized afterwards. Reiki also makes its own way to the area of the body in need of treatment. It is obviously endowed with a greater wisdom than our own, for it seems to know where and how and to what extent a patient needs it without our being able to add to or subtract from the effect it produces....The fact that Reiki has enabled many people to arrive at a more comprehensive understanding of religious matters while enabling them to experience spiritually in a more profound manner speaks for its universality."

This is slightly vague, because it does not talk about how the treatments are done, but I will leave that for you to explore. All I know is what has been done to me in my sessions. You have to remember that the energy will tell the practitioner where and for how long they need to treat a certain area of the body. The other most important thing to remember, is that each person's experience will be completely different from the next person. All I know, is that in my treatments I have had glorious epiphanies and I leave feeling energized and refreshed. Its an amazing feeling to know that all that bad energy and those toxins are leaving you.

Reiki was brought to my attention in my first year of university. My voice teacher at the time came with me to my audition for Laurier and he brought along his friend Susan, who happened to be a Reiki master. My 18 year old self had never heard of Reiki, but I would find out that it is something I would never forget. Throughout my undergrad, it came up here and there, and it was when I was taking part in the opera production at that time that I began to really understand the concept of energy and how powerful it was. I actually had two experiences on stage where I could feel the audience's energy and I could almost sense what they needed from me. It was very exciting and I didn't really know how to explain it to anyone. Now, I get it.

In my classes this weekend, I will be opened to channeling this energy and be able to treat friends and family members. I also hope to open a Reiki treatment business at some point, once I am confident in my abilities. I am incredibly excited and can feel the changes in my life that are just around the corner. I feel myself growing mentally and spiritually and becoming a whole person as well as a good singer. A new era begins.

Wow...I sound like a hippy. Peace :)

I will leave you with the Ethical Principles of Reiki:

Just for today do not worry. 

Just for today do not anger.

Honour your parents, teachers and elders. 

Earn your living honestly.

Show gratitude to everything.

-Dr. Mikao Usui


This is the book that was recommended to me by my Reiki master Susan. It is very clear and concise. It is older, so the drawings are a little dated, but the drawings are obviously not the important part. Haha. 

1 comment:

  1. You have some great quotes and 'food for thought' at the end of your posts! Hope you had a positive and productive weekend at your Reiki classes!

    ReplyDelete